Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Interview: Mr. Carlos Hawkins


MW: For this week’s interview I’m lucky enough to be speaking with Mr. Carlos Hawkins, a rap artist out of Alabama. Thank you Mr. Carlos Hawkins for giving this blog some of your time. 


MCH: Hey and I appreciate y'all interviewing me. I love talking to the people.



MW: I know a lot of readers are curious about your creative process. Let’s start with the beats – do you do your own, or do you work with a DJ? 



MCH: actually I work with Producers! I could make my own, but I'd much rather just smash em. I write a lot without beats. So most of my work is recorded on custom beats.



MW: At the beginning of your song “Don’t Look Right” you begin by saying “I’m gonna say the shit they’re scared to say.” I’ve noticed that in several of your songs, you aren’t shy about speaking your mind. Are there any subjects that are off limits?


MCH: No. None at all. And that saying is apart of my brand. Along with "I can't wait to hit them folks with 

this shit". 





MW: Where do your ideas come from?



MCH: All my ideas come from a life experience or something life inspired. My life story real enough. No need to make shit up. Or rap about money and jewelry I don't have. 



MW: I’d like to go back to the beats for a moment – It’s easy to hear a lot of organic sounds used in the tracks – kind of like the way the organ plays a big role in “Don’t Look Right” – was this influenced by music in your past, or is it just something that emerged?



MCH: Definitely influenced. Because its just something about an organ that makes me go in. I was memorizing lyrics for that song while the beat was being made. The organs were added in later in the mix. And it set it off! 



MW: Many of the readers are interested in technical aspects of recording – could you let us know what some of your favorite gear is? What is your recording process like?



MCH: hmmm. No favorite gear. I just need some good headphones that don't leak sound. A good mic. And an engineer that has an ear for the individuals sound. I do prefer Mac. And wireless keyboards which allow me to record myself. My process usually starts with Rolling up that Wiz Kahlifa. Then just going in. My best comes out in the moment. Nothing is ever final with me cause I hear hundreds of words that could always go in some spots better. So I just let it flow. Dig?



MW: You keep your webpage updated very well and it’s clear you do a lot of performances – I’d like to know if you think of yourself more as a studio artist or a live performer?



MCH: I'm Both! I put my all into the studio so I can one day perform it. But when I'm live I go Live and I pride myself in being professional. 



MW: Are there any live performances you consider to be especially memorable?



MCH: Definitely. Killed a club called Classic Wheels once or twice. Pulaski Tennessee. Wow. Real fans. Wanting autographs and pictures. And Black Arts Fest 2013. A lot of Signed Artist were like "dude you got it".



MW: I couldn’t get out of this interview without mentioning the song “Arrogant” – could you talk a little about how that song came about?



MCH: Lol. Arrogant of course puts you in the mind of Arrogance. But honestly I'm very confident. Not so much arrogant. Yea I'm cocky cause I know my abilities. And that song is telling the people how I feel. What I want. And how I think. I know a lot can relate. 



MW: It seems like you’ve done more than a couple collaborations – are having guest MC’s on your tracks ever problematic?



MCH: Oh yea. Cause some of these dudes act like shows and promotion aren't important to them. Which is why I no longer work with artist who have no track record. Then its hard to push collabs in general. Future collabs will be local and signed artist who are Moving forward. Not just saying they making moves.



MW: Are there any artists out now who you’ve been enjoying?



MCH: I've definitely been rocking with K-Camp. Thugger. Of course the regular names you always hearing. My Folk Majo paper who just dropped #D4L. And MYSELF. I love my Music!



MW: So, what is next for Mr. Carlos Hawkins?



MCH: Headlines and worldwide video releases. Endorsements and major deals. Hundreds of thousands and millions. Just watch and wait on it! #PumpFake #NoRoomForErrors and several singles. Lock in. And buckle up. The Game's in my cross hairs.



MW: I’m sure everyone will be looking forward to all of that! Thanks so much for your time today.



MCH: hey and again thank y'all. Before I go let me just shout out my Hoods. GrantTown. Where either you gator or you gator Bait! Annidope, anniston Al. West side. 15th and Walnut forever!!!! DDot Georgia. Douglasville. Cross the Tracks. Byrd wat up. Love ya boi. Ryan. All my nigghs who hugged them streets. My Ace boon Quincy Wells. So many to name. Rip Hott. DoeB. Dreq. Takeem and all the ones who names I can't say. Free my big bro Nukie. #Hawkins


To hear more of Mr
Carlos Hawkins please visit his website here: http://www.carloshawkins.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment