Sunday, July 6, 2014

Interview: BP Major

Hello Readers, for this week’s interview we have dance-music artist BP Major here to share with us his music and fascinating career story.  On a personal note, I’m thrilled to have our first electronic artist on this blog!

MW: You experienced a lot of success very early on in your life, how old were you at the time of your first “big break?” What was it?
BP: I started working on Australian TV at the age of 9. My family was not in the business at all and had no idea what to do with me or how entertainment worked at all. I found myself an agent, then I booked 2 national commercials after my first ever audition.  Things have changed a lot in our business since then, but honestly I feel like I'm still waiting for that big break.
MW: We’ve all heard that sometimes it’s a difficult transition for young stars to assume their adult identities, was that the case for you?
BP: I have always understood the importance of evolution as an artist so growing up for me is an ongoing process. The hardest transition for me has been moving from country to country. As you really do have to start at the bottom and do all that hard work all over again. There's many times I can't believe I'm doing the same thing I had to do in my teens just to get someone to 'like' me. But that's the nature of the business and I have some incredible role models to keep me on track.
MW: I now need to switch to a few obligatory questions regarding technical stuff, do you mind?
BP: Go for it.
MW: Great, let’s start with the instrumental tracks… Can you describe your creative process?
BP: Yes, I usually start each track with a short story. I'm very visual and descriptive in my approach. I then work out a basic tempo, melody and feeling. At that point I usually sit down with a producer to help fine tune my idea. 
MW: It seems like there is some very heavy emphasis on 303 sounds in your songs, such as “Calling All Recruits” – do you care to speak to that at all?
BP: I love to use sounds, beats & instruments that not only fit with the particular song I’m working on but also love electronic music that can be mashed together and morphed to create something hybrid, or futuristic. It's pretty awesome to alter something organic to create a new sound. 
 MW: Do you have any favorite pieces of equipment?
BP: I know it's a little old school but my favorite piece of equipment is a pen and paper. I love to write.
MW: I noticed you lived in Sweden for some time… As a musician there did you feel obligated to use Reason software?
BP: I loved living in Sweden, but being an Aussie I never feel obligated to do anything - except say please and thank you.
MW: Ha, that's awesome - you know I just had to ask because I'm a huge Reason fan - I have to say that in listening to your songs, especially “Indigo,” you obviously have stellar control over your upper register – has it always been that way or did you receive any training?
BP: Thank you. You know is funny, I've never really though of myself as a 'trained' singer or even a very strong singer compared to the big belters out there, I just sing where it feels right for me and in my upper register I tend to be able to belt with ease. It's cool cause it's effective and super easy for me.
 MW: Let’s get back to “Calling All Recruits,” how did that song come about?
BP: Calling All Recruits is a song that I wanted to keep very simple and direct, because sometimes all we wanna do is go out and have a dance. Calling All Recruits is the song that gives me that reason and that permission to let loose on the dance floor without a care. I love it as it's an invitation to be yourself and bust out.
MW: It’s a great track and very easy to see why it’s been so successful in the club-circuit.
BP: Thanks, yeah it's one of those songs that you can't help but bust out too. Even my nieces and nephews blast it and burn up the living room floor. So if they like it, I know it's good.
MW: I’d like to ask you about comparisons.  I think it’s easy for people to liken you to David Bowie, he was a very theatrical performer in the sense that he adopted specific stage personas, this seems to be a part of your performing identity – does this comparison ever bother you or do you embrace it?
BP: I think it's an incredible honor to be compared to Bowie. Though he is a legend and I'm still finding my way. But yes I see the theatrical comparison and I think it's awesome. I love to perform, I love the theatrics of live performance. I also think it's so cool to be able to use something so modern as EDM and work it with some old school theatrics. It's like living a dream for me.
MW: Are there any current artists you’ve been enjoying?
BP: I have to say there's more artists more famous than myself bringing out the theatrics these days and It's so cool to see. It's like we were all trapped for a while since the glam rock era sort of faded away. I think Gaga had a lot to do with bringing back the glam to music and I'm grateful to her for that. It makes the rest of us look less crazy now. As far as enjoying artists, I love a lot of very different artists for very different reasons. If I'm in a singing mood I'll have the rat pack on, or if I wanna jam at home it'll be disco, If I have to do the vacuuming it's the Pussy Cat Dolls lol - true Hollywood Story!
MW: So, What’s next for BP Major – is there anything we should be looking out for?
BP: The launch of my new video for Calling All Recruits is very exciting and nerve racking. So fingers crossed it's my 'Big Break' - again. I really hope it put's me on the map on a strong international level. I love the video, it's been a real process from conception to completion but after seeing the final copy (last night) for the first time, I am super excited and hopeful. 
MW: Sounds awesome. Thanks so much for giving us your time today!


Find more about BP Major at: 

Official Website: www.bpmajor.com
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/bp-major

No comments:

Post a Comment